If you are on Groupon or Living Social, you will see a lot of offers for Tae Kwon Do. 3 months free, 50% off the first 2 months, or 19.99 for a 2 week trial are all offers I have seen in the past. While these offers may sound enticing, you should consider the total cost to reach your black belt.
Some questions you should ask:
- What is the monthly cost after the trial ends?
- How much is belt testing?
- Are kids required to test every couple of months or is it dependent on their readiness for the next belt level?
- Are kids required to purchase sparring gear even if they are not interested in sparring?
- What is your policy on missed classes?
In addition to the cost, another very important criteria in choosing a Tae Kwon Do program is the quality of instruction. Is it baby sitting or are the kids really learning the techniques and tenets of Tae Kwon do? Is the instructor cognizant of your goals for your child? Are kids challenged to do their best and learn?
It can take a year or even 3 years to reach the black belt. It is a long term commitment for the instructor and student. Discounts and promotions are nice but it is also important to choose a program that matches your goals.